Monday, May 26, 2014

The soap opera life of a little town in Honduras . . . or Crazy times on the mission!

Dear Family,

This week was so crazy! First, good news, Jamie, a girl I was teaching in my last area got baptized! She sent me pictures! She is so beautiful and I am so happy for her. 

I'll start with Tuesday. It was a beautiful day. We headed up to A. It is a town about 15 min away on foot. Basically the whole town is from the Church. We went to help La Abuela (a little old lady  who sometimes gives us food and is super crazy and is the reason we don't want investigators to go to Church on fast sunday because she started chanting and all sorts of stuff in her testimony) haul water so she could wash her dishes and everything. She was grumpy with us because we helped her daughter in law, L. shovel dirt last week.  Anyway, we passed her and she was still mad. We went to the house of L. and  asked her to make us lunch. Then we headed over to La Abuela's house. We dropped off our backpacks and looked for her dogs. Her daughter was there and started chatting with us calmly. She bragged about how good of a daughter she is, how she went without a fridge so her mom could have one and she gave her mom a  stove. 

We headed off to get water for La Abuela from the well. We were coming back from the well when we heard her screaming down the road. She got to her house and strarted yelling at us to  drop the water and to see what was happening. We put the water down and ran to her house. Her daughter had broken in and was taking out the fridge and the stove. They were both screaming and insulting each other.  It was awful. Then La Abuela started throwing the stove. Then they almost  knocked over the fridge. Then the daughter attacked her mother. They were hitting each other and the Abuela was pulling her hair. I have never seen anything like this in my whole life. I was so conflicted. On one hand my compnaion was sobbing and the other hand there was a 76  year old lady fighting with her 40 year old daughter. Such barbarity.  My Companion yelled at the  ex  husband of the Abuela to come and help and I just yelled at the  ladies to stop being  animals and to be women. La Abuela wouldn't let go of her hair and my companion set off running. 

I followed her and we both ran next door to L.  crying and screaming for them to help. They didn't do anything. L. lives with the Abuela's son, who is a terrible man, but is nice to us. 

 They didn't want to get involved and we ended up locking the fence and hiding in their house.  Somebody called the police and they showed up. They took a lot of people as witnesses and we hid because we can't get involved in that. 

L. gave us lunch and we couldn't  eat. I really love L. She isn't a member yet , but she is so great to us. 

We eventually left when they had taken everyone to the police station. 

The next day the son invited us to eat fish in his house and we went super sneakily. We are terrified of the Abuela now. She was an animal. I am honestly scared.                      
 
Thursday  my companion completed  4 months in the mission and  Hno. Mejia gave us a MASSIVE box of Corn Flakes to celebrate. I don't know why people love corn flakes so much.  La Abuela showed up to the church building and we left running. Literally.  

 Friday Elvin had his baptism interview and he passed with flying colors. 
 
Saturday we went to Nueva Armenia for the baptism of Elvin.  There is a river and it was so pretty.  I loved it! It was a super big headache to get everyone there but worth it. Elvin invited a friend who left at 3 in the morning to get there on time. That is love. 

Hno. Mejia bought us lunch. He gave me half of a chicken.  That is a lot! 

Sunday we went to Church and afterward  we got a phone call  from L. asking if we could  let her borrow a suitcase. She has literally lived through the infierno with her... boyfriend-husband. He treats her like a dog and  is so awful. He also has 3 other women. He is such a dog. Anyway, they had fought and she was leaving him. They live in A. and  basically all of his family is there and they  treat her really badly. Imagine what I wrote about the Abuela and times that by 10. Her stories are awful and she lives in fear.  We prayed about giving her the suitcase. I didn't  want to do it if it was going to be bad, but we received a SUPER strong assurance that it was the right thing to do. I gave her my biggest suitcase. I am not sure what will happen, but I hope she can have a  better life. I gave  her the Family Proclamation and a jar of Peanut butter. She sobbed tears of gratitude.  

Elvin was sustained a  member of the church and then he was confirmed. It made me smile. I was so happy. 

I love you all! Don't  be mad that I don't have a suitcase... 

I love serving! I love this area! Craziness and all! I love my companion! 
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment