Monday, May 19, 2014

Counting Blessings . . .

Dear Family,

(Side note . . . after getting in trouble from both of her parents about teaching people three hours away from the church and walking home on a dangerous road at night, she sent a separate note saying that they only went there because it was a reference and are making arrangements to teach the people in town from now on. We were grateful for that!:-)

Well, this week I am SUPER sore! I shoveled mud and rocks for 3 hours twice this week. And carried it in a wheelbarrow to a road. It felt super good to use a shovel.

I was super grateful for a father who taught me how to use a shovel and gave me a lot of opportunities to practice. Everyone here thinks that Americans don't do any hard work and that we live a pampered life. It may be true at times, but I definitely know how to use a shovel!

We were helping a less active man and his wife (investigator) get rid of the mud and rocks that they disposed of when digging their well. Having a well here is such a blessing. I have never understood the value of water before. I don't need elecricity, but water is NECESSARY! 

 The less active man asked if this would be my first time using a shovel. I just laughed and got to work. I then outworked him and everybody else. Halla!

I also realized that my dad is pretty smart. It is better to work with a huge hat on and gloves. I will show you a picture one day of the hat I wore. It was a massive straw hat that protected me completely from the sun. 

So this is the section of my email that will help you feel grateful:

We have an investigator that has a problem in her mouth and they have had to pull out all of her teeth. She had some taken out every week. Now she doesn't have any left. The poor thing. And she used to be super pretty. The worst part is that they still don't know what the problem is. 

Also, the water comes to our house twice a week... supposedly. Ever since I came it has only come once a week. It is super rough. I can now shower with 2 gallons of water or less. The water never is running water, but we have a pila. Basically it is a big sink. It is about 3.5 ft by 4 ft. Pretty small. We use that water for the whole week. We shower with it, wash our dishes, our clothes and the house. I never thought I would be living this way, but at the same time I love it so much! It is crazy how the misison can change perspective. 

What I am grateful for: 

Elvin, one of our investigators, is progressing super well! And the branch is helping out. He is going to be baptized this saturday. We just need to finish a few lessons, but it should be great! And we might do it in a really pretty river. 

I am also grateful for moto taxis. I don't know how to describe them. They fit like 3 people and they cost about 50 cents for a ride. And a lot of the time they gives rides for free.  

We also had zone conference this week. It was sooo great! And we went to my old area to have it. With my old zone. I didn't really see many people I worked with before, but it was nice to relive the memories.We are going back at the end of the month to go to the temple. I miss the temple so much! I love being there. I can't wait to go whenever I want. 

Well, my companion still struggles with obedience. But, I am finding creative ways to help her. She was pretty good for a few days after zone conference but she still has a hard time getting out of bed. But I make sure she isn't sleeping while she is in there. :-)

Our lack of efficiency KILLS me, but I am also being creative with that. Some people just don't feel the urgency of this work. But I am happy and I am learning a TON!!! 

Love you all! I hope you have a great week.!

Here are some pictures from the mission blog taken at zone conference


No comments:

Post a Comment